Thursday, October 11, 2012

Alcohol’s Effect On Homeostasis



Our body’s ability to maintain equilibrium, or homeostasis, is a wondrous trait, which allows us to survive an array of varying conditions while affronting our health against infection, poisons and harsh climates. It takes the cooperation of the entire body to achieve this effect. Hormones, for example, work to adjust the balance of the body’s electrolytes and fluids, while the nervous system helps to regulate the respiratory, digestive and urinary systems.

Our bodies ward off numerous challenges in its quest for equilibrium. Diets lacking in proper nutrients in the correct amounts will ultimately require out bodies to compensate. Depression and stress are additional factors, which have the ability to challenge the cardiovascular, endocrine and respiratory systems, thus weakening each system’s ability to maintain balance. Sleep deprivation, drugs, and exterior pressures all affect the body in similar forms.

When it comes to alcohol, the effect on the body’s equilibrium is both instantaneous and long-lasting. Even a casual drink or two requires our kidneys and liver to work overtime to properly process the toxins. And while most people’s systems are perfectly able to handle such a challenge, those engaged in abusive alcohol behaviors place their bodies at risk for more extreme issues.

One solitary night of excess places strain on the digestive, nervous and excretory systems. This is why a hangover is so often associated with fatigue, headache, digestive issues, etc.. Many people will experience a slight shaking sensation due to the disruption to the nervous system or sugar deprivation. In most cases, our bodies are able to address these issues, returning to homeostasis within a day or so.

Alcoholism, however, may work to seriously hinder the body’s ability to maintain balance. One of the more well-known issues associated with chronic alcohol abuse – cirrhosis of the liver – will eventually impair the liver’s functionality if left untreated. Without a properly functioning liver, equilibrium becomes impossible to sustain. As toxin levels escalate throughout the body, systems will eventually shut down, leading to an imminent death.

Well before our status escalates to life-threatening, these challenges to homeostasis incurred by excessive alcohol intake can inhibit our body’s ability to protect itself from additional exterior impacts to equilibrium; underscoring the importance of moderation, or seeking professional aid if you are unable to adhere.  




14 comments:

  1. Nice blog .... I read all post, I like it. Thanks web master
    What are the effects of alcohol consumption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like many people, at the start of the year, I made a resolution to decrease my alcohol intake.

      Drink Less in Seven Days by Georgia Foster has really helped me stick to this resolution. Georgia is a clinical hypnotherapist and alongside the written version of the book, there are also 4 "Hypnosis Hub" recordings that readers are encouraged to access to help them with the program.

      One of the great things about Drink Less in Seven Days is that Georgia (and I"m going to call her Georgia because she kind of feels like a friend) is totally non-judgemental about how much you drink, why you drink, why you feel you drink too much etc. I feel that this is an area where people carry a lot of shame and negative feelings and to have someone who approaches an emotional issue like this with absolute objectivity is helpful in driving the desired behaviours. She's on your side!

      There are two main parts to Drink Less in Seven Days. The first is how your amygdala (the part of your brain that deals with emotions and fear/stress responses) can actually work against your efforts to quit or reduce your drinking. It shows you how to move your decision to drink away from this very instinctive part of your brain to your prefrontal cortex which is the part of your brain that is more concerned with considered decision-making.

      I found this part of the book fascinating, particularly the parts where she spoke about silencing your inner critic.

      However, it was the second part of the book, where Georgia broke down different personality types. what triggers them to drink and how to circumvent these triggers that I found most useful. (Also fascinating, if like me you love a good theory of behaviour and the ability to proclaim "Yes!!!! That's me!"). Because it makes total sense right? If you drink out of social anxiety (which is me a little bit) your methods to success will likely be different to someone who drinks because everyone around you is (also me a little bit).

      The biggest take away for me was starting to understand what triggers my wanting to drink and learning alternative strategies should I decide not to. I think a really important thing about Drink Less in Seven Days is that it is NOT about quitting drinking altogether. It is about cutting down to a level that you are comfortable with, whatever that is for you. And this feels more manageable than quitting altogether.

      The cru of this type of book though is does it work?

      So here's the real deal. I started this program in January. It's now March and I can count the times I have drunk alcohol on one hand. During this time I have been to pubs, bars and restaurants, entertained at home and been entertained at other people's homes so it's not like I have been hiding myself away. I have been around alcohol and people drinking as much as I ever was.

      Will I drink again? Almost definitely. For me, this experiment was never about giving up altogether. And I have far too much fun making cocktails for this to give it up completely! However, I feel that moving forward I will be able to drink in a more mindful considered way.

      Thank you to Georgia Foster for a thoroughly fascinating book that does exactly what it says on the cover!

      Here's a link to The 7 Days To Drink Less Online Alcohol Reduction Program.

      John

      Delete
  2. Do you need some info on best rehab facilities? Then these guys should work for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any imbalances to your body and its causes may bring danger you. If you're struggling from alcoholism, it's time to seek advice from a professional. Consider searching for an excellent and affordable rehab centers to cut the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Even a casual drink or two requires our kidneys and liver to work overtime to properly process the toxins.” - This is an eye-opening statement which clearly conveys that we should stop drinking alcohol. If a casual drink can already make two of your important organs exhausted from processing the toxins, what more if you’re a heavy drinker? Can you imagine how many toxins your kidney and liver need to process? It’s a lot of work that can affect all related body organs, and your body as a whole. +Leora Yang

    ReplyDelete
  5. People with alcohol use disorders drink to excess, endangering both themselves and others. This question-and-answer fact sheet explains alcohol problems.Addiction Intervention

    ReplyDelete
  6. Due to recent advances in neuroscience and psychology, rehab clinics are able to use a variety of proven methods in their drug addiction treatment programs for quit your drinking habit.

    Alcohol rehab center in Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information...
    addiction treatment programs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. Alcohol Rehab Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel a lot of pain when I look addicts, the addicts do not know that How long does alcohol stay in your system that's why they do not get rid of it. Thanks a lot for valuable info.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life is different. I'm still suffering, but I am sober and learning how to live a sober. Rehab Indianapolis

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... גמילה ממריחואנה

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how to said about Alcohol Abuse and Rehab
    Maybe, you want to check it out also---> Addictive Personality Disorder

    I hope it helps..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how to said about Alcohol Abuse and Rehab
    Maybe, you want to check it out also---> Addictive Personality Disorder

    I hope it helps..

    ReplyDelete